Re: Device detection?

Stephen Crowley <crow@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 10:58:13PM -0500, Randolph Chung wrote:

> > In that case.... how do you propose gathering this list? The
> > ultimate goal of course is better and more automated hardware
> > detection; it matters much less how we do it than that we *can* do
> > it. It just seems that if someone has already done the detection
> > for us, we should use the info. Of course, if we can develop a
> > better strategy, that'd be nice too......

> Well, looking at the source for the modules can provide a good start? maybe
> those silly .inf files on windows driver disks could provide some help too.

Well, for PCI stuff, Red Hat's install has a nice list, which IIRC is
generated from headers in the kernel source.

> > does Windows also detect hardware by identifying PCI/PnP ids? can
> > we get our hands on a list of ids somewhere?

PCI/PnP ids is the easy part - the hard part is detecting the other
types of hardware.

To map PCI ids to drivers, look at "misc/src/install/pci-probing" in any
RedHat archive.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu