Re: glibc 2.1 and compatibility (Was: slink is gone, goals for potato?

On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 07:43:07PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Lots of slink packages depend on libc6 >= 2.0.7u; hamm has 2.0.7t, so it's
> not possible to install those packages on hamm.

That is because we had a *bug* in libc6 that broke binary compatibility
between two minor releases (2.0.7u-* we're the broken ones IIRC).
Without that, an upgrade of minor packages could be done just with
the new .deb. For example, you can install potato's lrzsz on a hamm
system, without *any* trouble. I find that *very* *very* convenient,
and I'm sure a lot of users appreciate that.

However, in general, you have to upgrade a couple of libs and sometimes
additional packages to get one newer package, and we just have to live
with it.