Re: glibc 2.1 and compatibility (Was: slink is gone, goals for potato?

At 09:24 +0100 1999-03-03, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
As far as I know (can a real guru confirm/deny?), there is no binary
compatibility between glibc 2.0 and 2.1 (like it was between libc5 and glibc).
So we'll have a difficult move, like between bo and hamm. And the packages
which are compiled on potat will not run on slink or hamm.

This is false, binaries linked with glibc 2.0 work just fine under glibc 2.1. Binaries linked with glibc 2.1 will not run on a glibc 2.0 system.

morning, will have the feeling to be abandoned (the bugs will be fixed only on >potato and you will have to upgrade to get the bug fixes. Worse, the BTS has no >provision for a bug fixed only in unstable, this is a real pain for stable >releases users).

Bugs don't get fixed in stable unless they are security bugs anyway.

In practice, it means more work for the developers who want to serve all (keep >two development environments and recompile for slink and potato each time they >change something).

Again, only bugs that are very serious are ever allowed to be fixed in stable.

Will we have at least a libc6-dev which can coexist with libc6.1-dev so I don't >have to run two machines to make my packages?

That is impossible.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                     <URL:http://web.espy.org/>
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                  <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>