Re: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 11:26:28AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:

> > > buy a different card. and write to creative telling them WHY you
> > > bought from a competitor.
> >
> > Name one video card made today with 3D that has full specs available
> > to anyone asking for them.  No, not even Matrox.
>
> i have no idea. i have no interest in 3d cards.

*wrong*. Matrox just released full (I said full -- 100%) specs on their MGA
G200 chipset, which is used in all of their recent cards. It takes about two
weeks to go through the process to get them, but they are available.

Not that this is the first truly free set of specs on a 3d chipset to *ever*
be released. As I see it, there will quickly be a G200 driver for linux; I
would bet on it coming into existance faster than Matrox can release their
own official OpenGL drivers for windows.
	When corporations see how well matrox is doing by supporting linux
they may just be inclined to move in the same direction. Of course, Matrox
has no fear of loss to the corporate sector by giving out this information,
as they are always one step behind in this area -- it's the others (Nvidia,
to name one) who are going to have to think hard before doing the same.

But, although matrox is behind in technology, their support is encouraging;
I will return the favor by buying more of their cards. That's how the game
is played, isn't it? ;)

Now, we just get to see how soon someone hacks the G200 target into mesa.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

"...Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing..."
	-- Ralph Waldo Emerson