Re: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 11:25:10PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 12:32:45AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > [...] I propose you ask him if he too thinks those of us who are
> > > worried about the Linux based platform becoming proprietary or not.
> >
> > linux can not become proprietary. it's GPL. once free, always free.
> >
> > please keep your comments within the realm of reality, and not
> > paranoid fantasy.
>
> Two words: binary drivers.

you don't have to use binary-only drivers if you don't want to. you can
ignore their existence entirely.

> If you ask me, that goes against everything the GPL stands for and yes
> it can have a serious impact on Linux.

only if you choose to use them.

it's impact is roughly the same (legally speaking) as choosing to use
non-free application software on linux. i.e. it doesn't affect the fact
that the kernel is under the GPL.

craig

--
craig sanders