Re: FVWM 2.2 officially released

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, David Welton wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 01:36:45PM +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > FVWM 2.2 has just been released officially, so that FVWM 1.x is no
> > longer supported or maintained.  However, the Debian version of fvwm2
> > which I have just adopted has so many open bug reports that I dare not
> > deprecate fvwm for the time being.
>
> Uh, lots of people have used fvwm2 for some time, without problems,
> but that doesn't mean that we need to ditch fvwm.  Just leave it
> alone, maybe...  Or ask around and see if it is true that no one uses
> it.

Why should fvwm1 stay around? Each time version N of any Debian packaged
software is out, this version is packaged and _replaces_ the version N-1
in the Debian archive. This is how it works with every package. Why should
it be any different with fvwm?!

Right, the configuration file format changed between version 1 and 2... So
what? The same happened for bind, squid recently and we didn't have to
keep the old versions of these packages around.

Moreover as Julian said, fvwm1 is _no longer_ supported. Which means that
bugs in this software will remain unfixed.

So users who still want to use fvwm1 are not forced to purge the package
from their machine, but that doesn't mean we have to keep it in the
current Debian archive... (Which contains enough old buggy packages nobody
cares enough to maintain already IMHO)

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS  vincent@{{ldsol,pipo}.com,{debian,openhardware}.org} -