Re: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 02:19:59AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:

> For another, offering choices everywhere BUT the kernel makes us
> Linux-centric.  And if one more person says "But we support hurd" I'm
> going to have to hurt someone, I've been watching hurd and hurd isn't
> exactly useful to end users yet.  Face it, not every end user is a
> coder and they want something that works.  We offer Linux, Linux, and
> Linux.  If free software is about choice, the Linux community (YES I
> said Linux and not free software) is very much in opposition to choice
> with regard to kernels.

*some* members of the linux community are that closed-minded. some
members of the freebsd, netbsd, openbsd community are too. same with
gimp. and gnome. and kde. and any other development group you care to
mention.

clue: they're human. they have a diversity of opinions. some are nice
people, some are not. that's just what people are like.

i think you spend too much time reading slashdot and taking note of the
opinions of loud-mouths who don't matter.

> The only real argument I've heard that actually explains why we
> shouldn't do it is from a few vocal developers boiling down to "I
> don't want to."  To these I say don't work on it if you don't wish to.
> But why stop the rest of us from doing it?

you're over-reacting.

nobody is proposing to stop anyone from doing anything.

if you're so keen on Debian GNU/FreeBSD, then YOU start working on it.
if it's interesting then others may join in. but until you've tried
and been stopped by the evil debian cabal<TM>, please keep your conspiracy
theories to yourself.

i'm personally interested in seeing Debian running on a *BSD kernel. i
think it would be neat. however, i don't have time to work on it.

craig

--
craig sanders