Re: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 03:53:33PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> I do believe it is dangerous to become dependant on even the GPL'd Linux
> kernel now considering the dangerous steps being taken to weaken it from
> within.  Binary drivers are the beginning of the problem, but not the end
> of it.  While adding BSD kernel does not protect us from this, it does
> reduce our dependency on one particular kernel.  It also offers our users
> more of a choice.

I fail to see how supporting FreeBSD is helpful in the least. If you
feel that Linux's "weakening" is a reason to move on to something else,
what are we going to do when the same happens to FreeBSD? I think we
need to concentrate on protecting our current assests instead of
spreading our efforts too thin.

NOTE: I completely disagree with your opinion tha Linux is being
weakened. Mainly because not even Linux can be free of FUD and bad
press, it comes with the territory we are finally entrering known as
the "big time". I believe we need to stick with Linux, because if we can't
overcome your percieved problems with Linux, and the emninent criticism
it will recieve simply because it is reaching the highest ranks, then we
are destined to fail. Don't turn your back on what most would consider
the core of the free software community.