Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd (+binary compatablity?)

Steve Lamb wrote:
>I have cited a factual, real world source of FreeBSD's grace
>under pressure.  417Gb in a day.  Where are the Linux numbers to support the
>claim that Linux' network code is superior?

Jason Gunthorpe claims ftp.debian.org averages 13 mbits/sec with lots of
bursts/peak traffic/etc up to 22 mbits/sec.

417GB is 3416064 megabits, divided by 86400 (seconds per day) is 39.537
mbits/sec.

We're only off by a factor of 3. We'll have to see how that ratio holds
on March 2nd when Debian 2.1 is released. :)

If you want to help it happen, you should write a thank-you letter to
Mindspring Enterprises in appreciation for the wonderful job they have
done hosting ftp.debian.org. They simply rule.
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"It's like a love-hate relationship, but without the love." -- jwz, on linux