Re: gdk-imlib needs imlib-dev to work

Hi,

I think I've just about tracked down the `.so' link problem with
gdk_imlib.  Since gdk_imlib switched to using dynamically loadable modules
for the different image formats, it uses a glib function called:

	g_module_build_path

I added some printfs to the module loading code and got the following:

	OSSAMA: modname --> imlib-gif
	OSSAMA: path --> /usr/lib/libimlib-gif.so

Apparently the dynamic module loading code looks for modules ending in
`.so' hence the reason why gdk_imlib depends on the `.so' links.

What do you think I should do about this?  Perhaps since the `.so' links
in question are related more to run-time operation (i.e. dynamic
library package.  Since this is a run-time issue and not a development
issue, this shouldn't violate Debian policy, right?  If it does violate
policy, then I'd appreciate suggestions.

Note that it isn't all of the `.so' links that are the problem.  It is
just ones that are needed for dynamic loading.

Thanks,
-Ossama
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
58 60 1A E8 7A 66 F4 44  74 9F 3C D4 EF BF 35 88  1024/8A04D15D 1998/08/26