Re: soliciting opinions about potential new cron/at features.

On 15-Feb-99 Amos Shapira wrote:
> On Mon, February 15 1999, Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:
>|Why not attack this from the other direction?  Why not make a .cron.d
>|director
>|in the users home dir.  It behaves just like the /etc/cron.d except under the
>|user crontab control.  Seems to solve all need issues for cron and should be
>|relatively easy to implement.
>
> And force cron to lookup all users's home directories every - well,
> when?  (not to mention possible automounted NFS home directories,
> *shiver*....)
>
> What's the advantage of this over the current "crontab -e"?  Cron will
> be notified as soon as the user's entry changes and keep the file in a
> safe place.
>
> Also, as far as I understand this, the aim was to avoid forcing users
> to do anything special about cron, so what's the gain?

No, if the user has a crontab, try to run .cron.d/ scripts.  This should be a
fairly cheap setup.  Or even have a --user-has-crond (like your -e).  The user
never has to know this exists, GnuCash or whatever can be in complete control.
Just like Debian users are not aware of the /etc/cron.d -- until the need to
know.  Scripts handle everything.