Re: soliciting opinions about potential new cron/at features.

On Mon, February 15 1999, Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:
|Why not attack this from the other direction?  Why not make a .cron.d director
|in the users home dir.  It behaves just like the /etc/cron.d except under the
|user crontab control.  Seems to solve all need issues for cron and should be
|relatively easy to implement.

And force cron to lookup all users's home directories every - well,
when?  (not to mention possible automounted NFS home directories,
*shiver*....)

What's the advantage of this over the current "crontab -e"?  Cron will
be notified as soon as the user's entry changes and keep the file in a
safe place.

Also, as far as I understand this, the aim was to avoid forcing users
to do anything special about cron, so what's the gain?

Cheers,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                    | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.          |  glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805                  |  by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL        amos@gezernet.co.il |                     -- Anonymous