Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 09:15:11AM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Ben Collins wrote:
> > break leave anything broken. It is obvious however, that fewere releases
> > into unstable with a better versioning would be much better. I think
> > most would agree (users and maintainers) that they would rather things
> > break and know what to do about it than to wonder which of the 6
> > versions they are going to need.
>
> I'm confused.
>
> These are *major* version increases - if you define major as soname.

>From what I understand, these packages do not have an increased soname,
hence the problem that they encounter trying to keep packages linked
against them conflicting. A packgage linked against libgtk1.1.3 could
actually try to link against libgtk1.1.15. Which is why they named the
maintainer named the latest libs really weird. For instance I have this
on my system (this isn't all of them, just the 2 I picked out):

/usr/lib/libgtk.so.1.0.6
/usr/lib/libgtk-1.1.so.11.0.1

That first one is a normal looking library. The second one looks
horrible. I'm not sure if this is of upstream making or maintainer
decision in order to get an soname increase. If it's the latter, then
it's the wrong way, simply because binaries compiled on other systems
wont work right on Debian without tweaking, and the opposite is true as
well, which is very important to a lot of people.

If the only problem is having programs link agaist the right lib, then
shlib deps can handle that, they always have. If this isn't possible,
then libgtk should not be released as often into unstable, so we
don't have a polluted name space. If none of those is possible because
of breakage and we really have to try out 6 different versions to find
the best one that works, then we are dealing with an experamental
package and it should go there and not in unstable.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org