Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 03:06:25PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> You don't seem to understand!
>
> This is not a debian shlibs issue.
>
> The programs *will not work* with libgtk 1.1.21.  That's why we're
> changing the package name.  The API has changed.  Programs expecting to
> see 1.1.3 and actually linking to 1.1.21 will break!  They'll segfault,
> or behave unexpectedly.

Yes shlibs solves the dependencies, so that you should atleast know
that the libgtk on your system wont work with the app that was compiled
against an older one. The _only_ reason to have those package names is
so they wont all have broken dependencies on the next release, which is
a package release coordination issue. We have plenty of libraries that
didn't change soname's but still broke apps linked against them
midstream, and so the app has to depend on the correct version, which
he/she automatically get's from that libs shlib dep file.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org