Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 08:40:33AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> >From what I understand, these packages do not have an increased soname,
> hence the problem that they encounter trying to keep packages linked
> against them conflicting. A packgage linked against libgtk1.1.3 could
> actually try to link against libgtk1.1.15. Which is why they named the
> maintainer named the latest libs really weird. For instance I have this
> on my system (this isn't all of them, just the 2 I picked out):

> /usr/lib/libgtk-1.1.so.11.0.1
> That first one is a normal looking library. The second one looks
> horrible. I'm not sure if this is of upstream making or maintainer
> decision in order to get an soname increase. If it's the latter, then
> it's the wrong way, simply because binaries compiled on other systems
> wont work right on Debian without tweaking, and the opposite is true as
> well, which is very important to a lot of people.
This is the upstream soname.  Every binary-incompatible release of GTK has its
soname bumped up.
Binary-compatible ones have the minor versions bumped up.

> If the only problem is having programs link agaist the right lib, then
> shlib deps can handle that, they always have. If this isn't possible,
> then libgtk should not be released as often into unstable, so we
> don't have a polluted name space. If none of those is possible because
> of breakage and we really have to try out 6 different versions to find
> the best one that works, then we are dealing with an experamental
> package and it should go there and not in unstable.
It's not a matter of linking against the right lib.  Here is what happened:

GNOME 0.30 was compiled against libgtk1.1, at version 1.1.2.
1.1.3 comes out.
che releases libgtk1.1_1.1.3-1.
user installs updated package.
/usr/lib/libgtk1.1-so.2.0.0 is removed.
/usr/lib/libgtk1.1-so.3.0.0 is installed.
user tries to run GNOME app.
OOops, the library it linked to is no longer there.

See the problem now?