Re: Modem question

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 03:27:45PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> David Welton writes:
> > Do you have a web page for it [pppconfig]?
>
> I have no web pages at all for anything.

Like it or not, these is a good way to make your work visible and
acessible.

> > Do you publicize it on freshmeat and other, similiar services?  Have you
> > mentioned it to redhat, suse, etc, to see if they are interested?

> It is Debian-native.  When I wrote it Red Hat was still using pppd
> 2.2, which it won't work with.  I hear that they have upgraded now,
> but I would still have to set up a Red Hat box to test it on, learn
> to build rpms, etc.  I have neither the computer nor the time to
> spare.  I would be flattered if someone else chose to port it, but I
> just don't have time.

Instead of doing the work yourself, advertise - delegate:-> Ask around
with some of the other distrs, including some of the smaller ones "I
wrote this neat tool, it does X, Y and Z - I don't have the time to
package it for your dist, but I thought you might be interested..."
That doesn't take much time and can't hurt.

> > Do you have a mailing list?
>
> I have nowhere to host one.

Ask:->

> > Do you have a mailing list?  Do you respond to ppp questions on
> > newsgroups with 'have you tried pppconfig?' ?
>
> When the questioner is running Debian, yes.

Here you could kill two birds with one stone - advertise pppconfig and
advertise Debian!  "PPP?  Get my pppconfig tool - it comes standard on
Debian, otherwise, you can get the source here ....."

> I assumed that I was being urged to advertise pppconfig among Debian
> users.

To everyone!  I've noticed that it can really take a lot to get
information through to the most 'periferal' linux users - the ones who
thought it would be neat to try, but that don't follow mailing lists
or news.  They have never heard of a lot of stuff that I pretty much
thought the whole world know about...  You really have to market stuff
to get it out there.  Even though it's free, it won't sell itself;-)

        Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org