Re: RFC: new network config (was: Re: network configuration)

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 11:05:00AM -0800, Stephen Zander wrote:
> And when I change the network to which my PCMCIA card connects (by
> moving to another location for instance)?  The pcmcia-* packages
> support the idea schemes to make this possible.  How would your
> unified /etc/init.d/network handle this?

`the idea schemes' ? Is that a typo, or a protocol?

Ideally, you'd be running DHCP on both networks, you'd have a line in
/etc/interfaces like

	eth0	dhcp

and when cardmgr detected a card inserted or removed, it would call
/sbin/ifup or /sbin/ifdown to add or remove the interface as specified
in /etc/interfaces. These in turn would call / kill dhcpcd to manage
said interface's address and so forth.

Failing that, you'd have to list both possible settings in /etc/interfaces
and /etc/gateways, and change them when you switch networks, pretty much
as you change them now.

?

Cheers,
aj