Re: RFC: new network config (was: Re: network configuration)

    Anthony> `the idea schemes' ? Is that a typo, or a protocol?

Typo.  Should have been 'the idea of schemes', or more clearly 'the concept of schemes'.

    Anthony> Ideally, you'd be running DHCP on both networks, you'd
    Anthony> have a line in /etc/interfaces like

Some of us don't/won't/can't run DHCP.  But you're correct that if you
run DHCP everywhere you use a particular PCMCIA card then you life is
easy.

    Anthony> Failing that, you'd have to list both possible settings
    Anthony> in /etc/interfaces and /etc/gateways, and change them
    Anthony> when you switch networks, pretty much as you change them
    Anthony> now.

Change them how? This was the crux of my question.  Right now, with
pcmcia-*, I say

	cardctl scheme <whatever>

prior to inserting my PCMCIA card and everything Just Works.  Yes I
have to setup one or more schemes but that's a trivial amount of work
compared to moving between networks.  How is your proposal going to
limit the amount of work I need to do when I take my laptop home from
work & plug it into my home network or vie versa.

--
Stephen
---