Re: More conflicting packages not of extra priority.

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Santiago Vila wrote:

> This list is more complete, it was produced by removing all the Replaces:
> fields (which seems to make pkg-order happy about some conflicts).

You removed a field, to make your list bigger.  Doing so, however, destroys
what the developer intended.  As noted below, hello-debhelper
conflicts/replaces/provides hello.

Let's say you have this building, that has been standing for awhile, and is
quite sturdy.  Now, you remove a critical part of said building.  Is said
building still safe?  Would you recommend to your friends that they live
there?   I wouldn't.

Removing a field from the package's record invalidates the entire record.  It
is there for a reason.

> Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org>
>    hello-debhelper conflicts with hello

hello-debhelper replaces/conflicts/provides hello.  All I did when I created
hello-debhelper, is modify debian/rules it call debhelper.  There are no other
changes.

When I did this fork, I also did an nmu of hello, and fixed a few bugs.  Both
packages have the same version.

I see no reason to use update-alternatives.  I also have noticed that this
thread has not talked about the casee where a pkg cpr's another one.

Adam