Re: More conflicting packages not of extra priority.

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Santiago Vila wrote:
> > This list is more complete, it was produced by removing all the Replaces:
> > fields (which seems to make pkg-order happy about some conflicts).
>
> You might want to look at http://master.debian.org/~wakkerma/unmet.html
> as well, since that lists packages that depend on/recommend packages
> with a lower priority.

Yes. BTW: Looking at this list, there are some priorities for which there
is not an easy fix in slink at this point.

There are still some packages, for example, emacs19, which still requires
ncurses3.4 and have priority standard or higher.

We could do several things in cases like this:

1) The "right" fix: recompile them with libncurses4.
2) Increase the priority of ncurses3.4 from optional to standard.
3) Live with it in slink, fix it only in potato.

For 1) it is probably too late.

Solution 2) is ugly, because ncurses3.4 is in oldlibs and it should
ideally not be installed by default unless the user really has packages
using it.

Maybe 3) is the right one, but we would probably have to change policy so
that a package with standard priority which depends on an optional
oldlibs library does not force the library to increase its priority.

> The syntax is a bit weird for priorities. It is:
>   package  relation priority related-package priority-of-related package
>
> So for example:
>
>   lynx Priority Depends standard zlib1g optional
>
> means that lynx, which has priority standard, depends on the optional
> package zlib1g.

Incidentally, this one (lynx and zlib1g) is already reported as a bug :-)

Thanks.

--
 "c944827c7f84ba63862049ff32292030" (a truly random sig)