Re: More conflicting packages not of extra priority.

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Adam Heath wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Santiago Vila wrote:
>
> > This list is more complete, it was produced by removing all the Replaces:
> > fields (which seems to make pkg-order happy about some conflicts).
>
> You removed a field, to make your list bigger.  Doing so, however, destroys
> what the developer intended.  As noted below, hello-debhelper
> conflicts/replaces/provides hello.

Please note that this is a bug in pkg-order. I removed the Replaces field
to make a complete list, not to "make the list bigger".

Regardless of the replaces field, hello-debhelper conflicts with hello,
and you can't have both installed.

> > Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org>
> >    hello-debhelper conflicts with hello
>
> hello-debhelper replaces/conflicts/provides hello.  All I did when I created
> hello-debhelper, is modify debian/rules it call debhelper.  There are no other
> changes.

Fine. But you still distribute the hello-debhelper.deb package
as if it were something useful, when in fact it has not any functionality
not already in the hello.deb package.

If you want to distribute the debian/rules file, would not be better to
include it in the examples directory in debhelper, or put it in a web
page?

Thanks.

--
 "a9aa0459835a0ee22e3b177c8affd554" (a truly random sig)