Re: getting kernel 2.2 into slink

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > I noticed, otherwise you get some weird resource busy-error. Didn't help
> > though. My hardware isn't evil special.. (standard sb16 clone)
>
> Unfortunatly, this is as evil as it gets. According to the current kernel
> docs, there is no such thing as a SB 16 clone.

That part of the documentation is inaccurate, and has been for quite
some time.  There are SB16 clones, based on the ALS007 and ALS100
chips by Avance Logic.  The proof is in drivers/sound/sb_common.c and
Documentation/sound/ALS007.  The ALS007 is apparently a SB16-alike
except for the mixer, and the ALS100 is even closer (it uses the SB16
code unchanged).  My /proc/sound reads, in part:

  Audio Devices:
  0: Sound Blaster 16 (ALS-100) (4.2) (DUPLEX)

and I get 16-bit input and output without difficulty.  I've been
successfully using this card with Linux since the summer of 1997; the
card itself was purchased in November 1996.

Admittedly, these cards are probably nowhere near as common as the
average cheap WSS card, and it's likely that the previous poster
doesn't have one, but they DO exist...

--Rob

--
Rob Tillotson  N9MTB  <robt@debian.org>