Re: Suggestion: Skip Slink!

On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 11:49:20AM -0600, David Welton wrote:

> > When my packages are ready for release and there are no more bugs I
> > can fix for slink, why shouldn't I look at upgrading to potato?
>
> There's something to be said for using a product enough to believe in
> it, to know it well, and to be able to recommend it to others with
> confidence.  I suppose if one doesn't consider oneself interested as
> Debian as a whole, but just maintains a few packages (and there is no
> problem with this!), then it's fine.

I think it's fine for those of us who do have bigger plans for Debian's
future too.  When there's nothing more you can do for slink, moving on to
do stuff for potato is logical.

> However, I think those of us (and I think this includes you:-)
> interested in seeing Debian ship as a product, a unique release,
> instead of a stream of packages from apt, could at the very least run
> the product we are shipping.  For people without nice telco's like in
> the US, it's very important to get a stable, complete and functional
> release on a CD, as they are not able tojust let apt run overnight.

I understand the need to publish slink as soon as possible.  However,
most everything i can do for slink is done already.  What more I could do
I will do, but once I am done I don't see why I shouldn't consider moving
on to slink which has many possibilities for application of my effort.

> Anyway.. I'm off, heading down to California today:-)

If you get near Modesto, stop by and say hello!  =>

--
*sigh*. We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - rcw