Re: Suggestion: Skip Slink!

On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 11:17:47PM -0500, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> Why should we expect potato to be any better?  With a system as big as
> Debian, freezes take time.  slink isn't all the obsolete -- I run it (with a
> 2.2.0pre4 kernel, no less), and it works happily.  Potato is even less
> obsolete, but (probably) overrun with bugs.  Most people would much rather
> have older software that works than new software that doesn't.

I haven't seen any evidence from my oberservation that potato is overrun
with bugs.  It seems to work as well as, or better than, slink.

> > 2. Slink release is some time off, and is complicated by the fact
> >    that most developers now run potato.
>
> I don't think that's true.  Many developers may already run potato.  I
> don't, except for a few packages.

Welll the release is still some time off.

> > 3. Slink freeze has not (yet) been done properly on some archs.
>
> So screw those archs and don't release them for slink.

That's downright silly.

> > 2. Include Linux 2.2.0 (YAY!)  (well, maybe.)
>
> Hrm.  And libc6 2.1.x, I suppose, since it's due out just as soon?

No, that would require significantly more effort.  Kernel 2.2.0 should be
pretty well drop-in replacement.  At least on my system, I can toggle
between 2.0.35 and 2.2.0-pre4 without any problem or using any non-.deb
software.

> I worry that potato is a disaster waiting to happen, because of kernel 2.2.x
> and libc6.1.  Why rush it?

2.2.x still has a few bugs, of course, do be ironed out before release.  I
am not advocating making the next release with 6.1.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org