Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> 	The rationale is from the FSSTND:
> The source code for the kernel should always be in place or at least the
> include files from the kernel source.  Those files are located in these
> directories:
>
>      /usr/src/linux/include/asm-<arch>
>      /usr/src/linux/include/linux
>
> 	The line "at least the include files from the kernel source"
>  is my justification.

I don't find this rationale convincing, particularly when you only quoted
part of the relevant section of the FSSTND. Let me quote those lines,
immediately following that part you quoted:

/usr/include should contain links to these directories, named asm and
linux.  Since they are needed by the C compiler, at least those include
files should always be distributed with installations which include a C
compiler.  They should be distributed in the /usr/src/linux directory so
there are no problems when system administrators upgrade their kernel
version for the first time.

/usr/src/linux may also be a symbolic link to a kernel source code tree.

The FSSTND is showing its age in the above section. It justifies the
reason the /usr/src/linux directory exists by saying /usr/include contains
links to it. This is not the case in Debian.

Please remove the link for the kernel-headers package only. Rather than
blind adherence to an obsolete standard, I feel we should take a more
intelligent approach to our interpretation of the standard for Debian.
The link is completely irrelevant in the kernel-headers package now.

	Martin.