Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy

Hi,
>>"James" == James Troup <J.J.Troup@scm.brad.ac.uk> writes:

James> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes: [ I really
James> don't want get into the actual /usr/src debate, but I had to
James> comment on this ]

>> Unfortunately, the kernel header files are getting to be quite
>> architecture dependent, and hence if libc development packages
>> continued to include kernel headers explicitly, we would need
>> different headers for different architectures, resulting in
>> libc6-dev-i386, libc6-dev-m68k, et. al.

James> Que?  Say what?  Since when?  We already had a different set of
James> kernel includes for i386 and m68k in the respective libc6-dev
James> debs (i.e. in libc6-dev << 2.0.6).  There's no reason why a
James> libc6-dev-$(ARCH) set of debs would be needed.

	I think that that was one of the problems. Essentially, in
 order to provide kernel includes (I hope I do not have to go through
 the arguments why a fairly static set of kernel headers have to be
 included in libc6-dev) there had to be architecture specific diffs
 for libc6-dev, and that's ugly, espescially if the libc6-dev
 maintainer was not responsible for the creation and testing of the
 arch dependent diffs.

	Coupled with the fact that the afore-mentioned diffs are
 exactly what is there in kernel-headers package, it pre existed, and
 requires no work on the part of the libc maintainer.

	So, a dependency was cerated on kernel headers rather than
 create kernel header sized architecture dependent diffs. (Still makes
 sense to me ;-)

	We have a mechanism in place that allows package management
 while keeping in mind dependencies and such: I suggest we use it.

James> I've no idea why David chose to seperate the includes out (I
James> haven't been following the thread (deliberately)), but this was
James> not it.

	I can't speak for David, obviously, but I was privy to the
 discussions that shaped this practice (and partly contributed
 to it), and that is the major reason I remember.

James> [ Maybe I'm missing something... ]

	manoj

--
 "IT'S THE TWO GODDAMNED CULTURES AGAIN !*! Bit-brained nerdery on one
 side, effete fin-de-siecle malaise on the other. And kingdoms of