Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy

Hi,
>>"Kai" == Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de> writes:

Kai> jk@espy.org (Joel Klecker) wrote on 16.01.98 in
Kai> <v04003a09b0e596154118@[192.168.42.2]>:
>> The current problem is that libc6-dev depends on
>> 'kernel-headers-2.0.32' or 'kernel-source-2.0.32'.
>>
>> I suggest it depend on 'kernel-headers' instead, and then each
>> architecture would provide its own arch-dependant 'kernel-headers'
>> package (which could be a virtual package), it would install into
>> /usr/include{asm,linux}, thus leaving room for 'kernel-source' in
>> /usr/src.

	libc6-dev should not depend on any old kernel include files,
 but specifically on version 2.0.32. There is a virtaul kernel-headers
 already provided by all kernel source and header packages, and the
 maintianers are not stupid or blind. There is a reason, Virginia.

Kai> That's one problem. Another is that people seem to try to
Kai> circumvent the dependency.

	I have answered this elsewhere. This is not a problem, really,
 but user misapprehension. /usr/src belongs to the vendor (I have been
 running UNIX for a decade or so, and only /usr/local was ever deemed
 under local control).

Kai> I'd suggest doing a libc6-khdr_2.0.32-4.deb instead, that
Kai> installs into /usr/include/{asm,linux}. (Btw, that one would
Kai> probably be Architecture: any, not all.)

	How is this technically different from the current scheme,
 apart from being more work, increasing the number of packages, and
 being (IMHO) way more bureaucratic?

Kai> This name should make it clear to people that this package is
Kai> part of libc6 - people don't seem to believe this of
Kai> kernel-headers.

	People's idiocy is not a good enough technical reason for
 change.

	manoj
--
 "TO MANKIND And the hope that the war against folly may someday be
 won, after all." Dedicatory note of "The Gods Themselves"