Re: New section in potato?

On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 02:50 +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Ben Collins wrote:
> > Currently the archive is symlinked to high heaven (ie. everything in
> > binary-all is symlinked to in all of the binary-(arch) directories).
> > This wont be any more difficult to non-unix archives than it already is.
>
> And from what I hear occasionally managing that forest of symlinks is
> a lot of work. Making it even harder for them sounds somewhat unreasonable.
>
> Also, almost any scheme that involves directory structures as a selection
> mechanism is bound to fail with the current growth in number of packages.

My suggestion was made purely from the POV as a user. Having the separate tree
structure is the way I would set it up, since it would make browsing and
searching for a specific packagetype that uses a specific UI very easy.

Isn't it also the case that the more packages we get the more specific the
categories ought to be? Anyone bored enough to work out what the average
number of packages in each category is at the moment ;)

Another reason that I can think of is that as debian grows it is going to be
hard to fit it all onto one CD (isn't this the case already?). Having it
organised like this would make it easier to split the archive up, I would have
thought (base+console on one, x11+gnome+kde on another).

Anyway, since I'm not the one who would have to implement it I'll take the
liberty of coming out with the most unworkable proposals I can :)

Cheers
	Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.0 on Linux i386 2.1.125
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request