Re: New section in potato?

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 12:22:59PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > OK, here's my contribution to the discussion:
> >
> > 1) Make separate trees for x11, gnome, kde and console apps, then use symlinks
> > to put them into the main tree. That way it should finding an app a lot
> > easier, and also allow for easy browsing.
>
> Now that's a reasonable idea, best of both worlds. Would make for a
> terrible time on the dinstall end i would guess, but if the override works
> like i think it does, it shouldn't require the package control files to
> be modified.

I think our FTP masters might object to this as difficult to maintain.
It doesn't seem difficult to me, but it might be on non-unix platforms.

> I'm guessing that x11 would imply any x11 clients that weren't kde/gnome
> specific, in which case I think breaking out the core x11 stuff (xservers,
> fonts, xdm, xlib) to it's own tree would make more sense.

Then we have to deal with packages which provide both X and console
programs.  I personally believe these should be broken up anyway, though
there is of course going to be an exception somewhere I'm sure.

--
"Shall we play a game?"  -- WOPR