Re: glib1.1.5 bugs (was : Re: what's going on with gtk+ ????)

On Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 10:36:22AM -0800, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

>     Sven> i have compiled and uploaded the 1.1.5 versions of glib and
>     Sven> gtk ...
>

>     Sven> i noticed two things :
>
>     Sven> * the glib.orig.tar.gz contains a directory named
>     Sven> glib-1.1.5, which is incorrect. should be renamed to
>     Sven> glib1.1.5-1.1.5 after the package name.
>
> No. Geez louise; I can't go changing the upstream tarball. I made the
> source package be named glib1.1.5 instead of glib because we have to
> support multiple versions. It breaks nothing to have the source name
> be glib1.1.5. dpkg can handle it.

last i checked, a package directory should be named package-version, and not
something else. So if you change the package name, you have to change also the
directory contained in the tarball. This don't change the upstream tarball so
much and is the way to do things, at least according to the various packaging
manuals available on the debian web site.

And yes it breaks something, if not, i would not even have noticed it, try to
build your package with dbuild, it will complain about not finding
glib1.1.5-1.1.5 after having untarred the tarball. I also think it is false,
since gtk is handled correctly, and surely you can not say that for glib you
cannot change the upstream tarballl, but that for gtk you can.

also breaking the dbuild means that we get no automaticcaly builded package for
non i386 architectures, ...

>     Sven> * glib1.1.5-dev installs glib includes in
>     Sven> /usr/lib/glib/include, correct include dir is /usr/include
>     Sven> or /usr/include/glib. I understand thæt this is maybe
>     Sven> because of the duplicate glib1.1.5dev and glib1.1-dev
>     Sven> packages, but it still is not nice. In particular it seems
>     Sven> to break gtkglare package, i think i will have to fill a bug
>     Sven> against it because it seems to only use the flags from
>     Sven> glib-config, and not the noes from gtk-config, and so it
>     Sven> don't find the gtk includes.
>
> This is an upstream decision. It does not break gtkglare; gtkglare
> should use gtk-config.
>
> [ben@gilgamesh:~]% gtk-config --cflags                                  10:35AM
> -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/lib/glib/include

ha yes, but it don't seem to use glib-config, and since glib1.1.5 and gtk1.1.5
don't install in the same place, it breaks the gtkglarea ... Like i wrote it.

and i think itr is debian policy to put includes in /usr/include, and not in
another place ...

> This is also a FAQ. Please do a little research before reporting bugs
> and Cc: ing them to several people who don't care.

sorry about the CC, i surely mishandled my mailer ...
but then make sure you read all the things i wrote before saying to read the
FAQ ...

> Also, please do not report multiple bugs in a single report.

Ok i will not do it anymore ...

anyway, i just reported this things, for my personal use i repared them myself,
changing the tarball directory name, and making a symlink for the correct place
for the includes. Also notice that i only have 1.1.5 installed, and
enlightenment, which depends on some imlib stuff runs fine ....

Friendly,