Re: New section in potato?

Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 12:22:59PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > > OK, here's my contribution to the discussion:
> > >
> > > 1) Make separate trees for x11, gnome, kde and console apps, then use symlinks
> > > to put them into the main tree. That way it should finding an app a lot
> > > easier, and also allow for easy browsing.
> >
> > Now that's a reasonable idea, best of both worlds. Would make for a
> > terrible time on the dinstall end i would guess, but if the override works
> > like i think it does, it shouldn't require the package control files to
> > be modified.
>
> I think our FTP masters might object to this as difficult to maintain.
> It doesn't seem difficult to me, but it might be on non-unix platforms.

It is indeed difficult to maintain, and as assistant archive maintainer,
I do object :)

We're already in a twisty little maze of symlinks, all different, and
our scripts have a hard time dealing with it.  We're too busy with the
daily flow of packages to make the structural changes we need, let alone
cosmetic ones like this.

Richard Braakman