Re: Nomination

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 09:36:42PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>

> >   Joseph>  I disagree, though I have answered them all the same.  I think
> >   Joseph> there are more important issues than who maintains what and how
> >   Joseph> popular their packages are, what kinds of bugs, etc.
> >
> > Debian, much like other Open Souce projects, is a meritocratic system.
> > You earn respect, and trust, by showing what you are capable of.
>
> Then please, judge people based on what they have done, and not how old they
> are, how many packages they maintain, or what sort of bugs they have.

     Exactly.  I don't intend to base my vote on the answer to any one
question, and I doubt if any other developers would do so.  I will
vote for the candidate who, based on all information available to me,
appears most qualified.  The answers to the questions I asked, and the
excellent supplementary question posed by Dirk, will form part of the
pool of available information.  I hope there are many other questions
coming from others, which will further broaden that pool.

> Furthermore, many people within Debian do things that do not directly create
> new code.  Some people spend a lot of time maintaining packages.  Others
> work on the web site or the mailing lists.  Some may help ensure that master
> and friends work well.  People work on the FTP site.  While these people may
> not have any startling novel code as dpkg perhaps was, still they have made
> contributions.

     Agreed.  I would like to hear about these activities from any
candidates who have done work along these lines.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>