Re: Nomination

>> "JC" == Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

First of all, I am pleased with the comments you sent already.They
nicly add to the picture I got of you so far.

JC> On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 02:43:54AM -0500, Mitch Blevins wrote:
>> How old are you?

JC> I am 20 years old.  I must say that I don't like that question and
JC> consider it somewhat unfair as it assumes that age is relevant.  I
JC> do not believe it is.  Does it matter if I am 16 or 60 if I am
JC> otherwise a responsible person and well-suited to the tasks of the
JC> position?

I do belive it is valid together with the other questions about what
you did.

I don't want to vote for a leader, who just left school and don't know
the "real world". They tend to be quite naiv about some things (I was
as well). Yes, I know, even in school one can get much experiance with
this some time. Thous this question is only valid together with the
other questions.

Debian and its leader has to deal with a community and also with
companies. He has to know about the strings of power present when
people work together and how to control these and make use of them for
the good of the project. This is real life experiance needed here.

JC> Slashdot is really the only place more public than Debian's lists
JC> that I make my voice heard.  I would of course be willing to watch
JC> what I say and be sure that my comments won't reflect badly on
JC> Debian, even moreso than I do now (since my @debian.org email
JC> address is attached to each comment) but I would be unwilling to
JC> simply stop posting comments because some feel it would be best if
JC> someone in my position not be heard from other than as an official
JC> representative of the project.

leader@debian.org Ian introduced is really good. And the leader must
be able to express his opinion not speaking as the leader. Of cause
the two opinions should be somewhat in line. But I don't believe you
will only be calm when you post as leader :-)

>> In other words, a relatively quiet DPL is a good DPL.

JC> I disagree.  This seems to be Ian's philosophy and it isn't
JC> working as well as a more active role would.

Linux is getting momentum. So should Debian. I agree that a more
active leadership will help here. It is easier for people, if they can
refer to a specific person (in a representative sense), rather then
being faced by a monolitic Debian entity.

Ian did a great job in restructing the project. He is and was the
steady pole that was needed, but time changes and so does the
requirements of leadership.

When Bruce was leader, I was just a user, so I can't fully judge his
leadership. But I was quite impressed, when he answered questions on
debian-users sometimes. Coming from windows I asked my collegues, if
Bill answers questions in newsgroups :-) I was really impressed about
Linux. Well Debian grew very much since then...

When Bruce left, I checked debian-devel and saw that he wanted to *be*
Debian, not the leader.

The leader should respect the decision of the other developers. Even
if it is not his opinion. When the leader wants A, but the developer
decide for B, he still has to put his full support for B after the
decision.

I like to see a leader who represents Debian to the outside more
actively, and who can set free more powers inherent to the developers.

Thank you for reading,
	Martin