Re: Nomination

On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 02:55:22PM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> First of all, I am pleased with the comments you sent already.They
> nicly add to the picture I got of you so far.

> JC> On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 02:43:54AM -0500, Mitch Blevins wrote:
> >> How old are you?
> JC> I am 20 years old.  I must say that I don't like that question and
> JC> consider it somewhat unfair as it assumes that age is relevant.  I
> JC> do not believe it is.  Does it matter if I am 16 or 60 if I am
> JC> otherwise a responsible person and well-suited to the tasks of the
> JC> position?
> I do belive it is valid together with the other questions about what
> you did.
> I don't want to vote for a leader, who just left school and don't know
> the "real world". They tend to be quite naiv about some things (I was
> as well). Yes, I know, even in school one can get much experiance with
> this some time. Thous this question is only valid together with the
> other questions.
> Debian and its leader has to deal with a community and also with
> companies. He has to know about the strings of power present when
> people work together and how to control these and make use of them for
> the good of the project. This is real life experiance needed here.

I still disagree that age has any relevance, but I can understand why you
would think has a little or even a lot of relevance.  Experience is a
good thing, certainly.  But I have found time and again that age and
experience seldom go hand-in-hand.

> JC> Slashdot is really the only place more public than Debian's lists
> JC> that I make my voice heard.  I would of course be willing to watch
> JC> what I say and be sure that my comments won't reflect badly on
> JC> Debian, even moreso than I do now (since my @debian.org email
> JC> address is attached to each comment) but I would be unwilling to
> JC> simply stop posting comments because some feel it would be best if
> JC> someone in my position not be heard from other than as an official
> JC> representative of the project.
> leader@debian.org Ian introduced is really good. And the leader must
> be able to express his opinion not speaking as the leader. Of cause
> the two opinions should be somewhat in line. But I don't believe you
> will only be calm when you post as leader :-)

I'd certainly try to be.  Often times I let my email express my feelings
too much, but I am extremely careful about this when writing as a
representative of others.  An example being an email campaign.  There are
enough people sending flames and wonderfully creative comments like "you
suck" (ow, that has to hurt, gee) that I feel it is necessary to send a
very calm message, whether or not I am in a calm state.

I've been taking diplomacy lessons from lilo I guess.  =>

> >> In other words, a relatively quiet DPL is a good DPL.
> JC> I disagree.  This seems to be Ian's philosophy and it isn't
> JC> working as well as a more active role would.
> Linux is getting momentum. So should Debian. I agree that a more
> active leadership will help here. It is easier for people, if they can
> refer to a specific person (in a representative sense), rather then
> being faced by a monolitic Debian entity.

That is what I hope to do, represent Debian's interests.

> Ian did a great job in restructing the project. He is and was the
> steady pole that was needed, but time changes and so does the
> requirements of leadership.

I haven't always agreed with Ian's ideas, but I think after Bruce left
Ian is probably what we needed.

> When Bruce was leader, I was just a user, so I can't fully judge his
> leadership. But I was quite impressed, when he answered questions on
> debian-users sometimes. Coming from windows I asked my collegues, if
> Bill answers questions in newsgroups :-) I was really impressed about
> Linux. Well Debian grew very much since then...
> When Bruce left, I checked debian-devel and saw that he wanted to *be*
> Debian, not the leader.

Sometimes seeing the group is imporant, sometimes seeing the leader is.
I hope I can make the right choices as to when to let the group be seen
as a group and when to be seen as their representative.  A balancing act
to be sure, but I have pretty good balance.  Haven't tried walking a
tightrope while juggling keyboards yet.  =>

> The leader should respect the decision of the other developers. Even
> if it is not his opinion. When the leader wants A, but the developer
> decide for B, he still has to put his full support for B after the
> decision.
> I like to see a leader who represents Debian to the outside more
> actively, and who can set free more powers inherent to the developers.

Indeed, the group's decision stands whether I agree with it or not.  This
is the case even now.  Continuing to argue after something has been
decided is only going to add stress and frustration to people's lives.

> Thank you for reading,

And you for posting.

"You're despicable."  -- Daffy Duck