Re: Nomination

Joseph Carter wrote:
> [ Please send replies to -devel, Cc's to me encouraged ]
>
> When I originally stated my interest in running for Debian project leader, I
> was unsure if I really would be a good candidate or not, so I offered to run
> if others believed I should.
>
> I am confident that I can be a good leader for Debian, and I'm pleased that
> others who have commented seem to agree.  With this message I announce my
> intention to run for Debian project leader.
>
> [snip long discussion of positions, most of which I agree with]

For those of us who don't know you, could you post some information about
what you are like in the ReadWorld(tm).  For example:

How old are you?
Does any of your work experience relate with software?
Any other experience with leading projects?
Are you a student?
What you are proud of?
Do you like moonlit walks on the beach?
(whoops... wrong questionaire!)

Also, although your ideas and your energy are exciting, we also need to
consider how you as a person would reflect on Debian.  Like it or not,
if you were the Debian Project Leader then all of your publicly expressed
opinions and actions would be perceived as that of Debian.  This is an
unavoidable reality that cannot be eliminated with even a mountain of IMHO's.
Part of what holds us all together our acceptance and support for the
Debian social contract and the DFSG.  This is what makes me proud to be
a part of this group.  Beyond that, we all have wildly divergent opinions
and viewpoints.

The only reason I bring this point up is because I have noticed that you
are quite active on Slashdot.  Would you be willing to limit your posts
in highly-visible public forums such as slashdot to topics and opinions that
we can all be comfortable with as representative of the Debian viewpoint?
In other words, a relatively quiet DPL is a good DPL.
A different alias would allow this while still allowing you to express
yourself fully.

I apologize if this has offended anyone, because it certainly wasn't
intended.  I appreciate all the work you've done for Debian and Free
Software in general.

-Mitch