Re: Recompilation to remove dependency on libc6 2.0.7u (Was: Status of Slink

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 05:51:21PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > And how do you want to tell the build daemons (extreme case) that this
> > "point release" is i386 only? You can't determine this from the
> > version number... The only solution would be to make uploads without
> > sources (i.e., "Architecture: i386" only). Is this the sense of build
> > -b? (I don't know this tool.)
>
> Yes, basically, 'dpkg-buildpackage -B' is what is is called for, AFAIK.
>
> > But this solution makes problem with the source availability
> > problem, discussed some time ago on debian-policy.  Then we have a
> > lot of binary versions (for i386 only) for which no corresponding
> > source version exists.
>
> Why couldn't we do binary-i386 only uploads with *no* version number
> bump?  The problem of versions w/o source wouldn't exist.  The upgrade
> problem is a non-problem, since if they have pkg X.Y installed
> already, they don't *need* X.Y w/o the libc dependancy by definition.
> I don't think 'dinstall' could deal with this (IMHO it would not want
> to reinstall the same version twice into the archive) -- but a little
> temporary disabling of this check maybe couldn't hurt.
>
> Alternatively, isn't there a way to number an upload as an
> arch-specific upload, as understood by wanna-build & co?  I.e.,
> X.Y-1.0.1 ?

You want to do a -0.0.1 bump (i.e. -1 -> -1.0.1), and upload without
source.  No new source = no build daemon rush.

Dan

|       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|     CMU, CS class of 2002      |
|   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __   Part-Time Systems Programmer  |
|         dan@debian.org         |  |        drow@cs.cmu.edu         |