Re: Uploaded lilo 21-1 (source i386) to master

Bernd Eckenfels <lists@lina.inka.de> writes:

> The current lilo package is in unstable, extract from changlog follows:
> (unfortunatelly it hung in the incoming queue while the system was frozen)
>
> lilo (20-2) unstable frozen; urgency=low
>
>   * recompiled with new curses
>   * suggests mbr instead of depends
>
>  -- Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@debian.org>  Sun,  1 Nov 1998 01:26:19 +0100
>                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I could not find this version in the archive, in Incoming, or an announcement
on debian-devel-changes either in October or November. My Packages file
before I uploaded 21-1 showed the current version as 20-0.1, my last NMU.
Even if it got lost in Incoming during the freeze, there should still have
been an announcement.

Take a look again at the changelog, which I read before packaging 21 - it
shows you did not upload the package for over 2 years:

lilo (20-0.1) unstable; urgency=low

  * Non-maintainer release.
  * Leave copyright file uncompressed. (#14421)
  * Libc6 compile. (#11708)
  * New upstream sources. (#11081)

 -- Martin Mitchell <martin@debian.org>  Sat, 22 Nov 1997 01:13:49 +1100

lilo (19-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * upgraded to new package standards

 -- Shaya Potter <spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil>  Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:12:06 -0500

Old Changes

Thu Aug  1 04:05:04 MET DST 1996 <ecki@debian.org>
	* Upgraded to upstream version 19.
	* README -> doc/lilo/Manual.txt

I didn't set out to hijack this package from you Bernd, I thought you
were no longer interested in maintaining it.

There are 32 bugs open against lilo - not one has been resolved recently,
even though some are very simple to resolve - this further convinced me
you were not interested in maintaining the package.

> BTW: if u do the next NMU, perhaps TRY to conact the maintainer in advance?
> There are so many actual unmaintained packages, that we do not need to spend
> double efford in packaging the same package. Thank you.

This was a grave oversight on my part, for which I apologize.

I ask you now, are you still interested in maintaining the lilo package?

Will you look at some of the bugs, many of which are over a year old?

Would you like me to take over maintenance of the package, or would you
like me to do a NMU to correct the control and copyright files, and
downgrade the mbr dependency to Suggests?

Apologies,

	Martin.