Re: More problems for non-US?

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> wrote:
> I wonder if SPI might be able to organize some civil disobbedience of
> some sort. The computer industry is rather vital, at this point. Maybe
> something a long the lnes of that export-a-crypto web page, but bigger
> and more high profile.

I'm not sure if civil disobedience is the right approach here.  It might
be, but the underlying laws are those focused on warfare...

The right thing to do is to get people to realize how silly it is to
classify encryption as a weapon.  [Can you imagine attacking someone
with a piece of encryption software?  Maybe, if you had a printout of
the source and you could get your victim to hold still, you could get
in a lucky paper cut.]

That, and pointing out the things it *is* useful for.

That, and pointing out what massive parallelism (optical or perhaps
quantum computing, or any of a variety of not to distant future
possibilities) will do to the currently accepted standards of
"unbreakability".

--
Raul