Re: More problems for non-US?

On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 09:49:11PM +1300, Michael Beattie wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, M.C. Vernon wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, John Goerzen wrote:
> >
> > > According to http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/981203/3l.html, 33 more countries,
> > > including Germany, have made exportation of encryption technologies illegal
> > > (or at least some of them).  Even though I'm in the US, I view this as a
> > > VERY serious problem.  Furthermore, I am concerned about the future of our
> > > non-us archive.
> >
> > I don't think any of the changes have been made law...
>
> Excuse the language, but "Better bloody not get that far." This has really
> riled me up.

Me too

> I see 1984 just around the corner.

Yes...they seem to have missed their deadline by a few years....
at least they are still trying. Once they achieve it, they can just go
back and change the name of Orwells book to whatever the current year is.

no wait...since that book deals with thought crime, it would be double plus
ungood. Must change articles and other books, refs to unbook.

> Here in New Zealand, the new
> credit-card style drivers license has our photo on it. They have decided
> to keep a copy of this photo on their computer systems. Raped by the
> system. Makes me want to live in space.

We have that too. Along with lots of other good things to protect our children.
(can you just feel the sarcasm?).

I don't care how many laws they put against it...I wont stop using encryption
until they pry my keyboard from my dead fingers. The more laws they pass...
the greater I get an urge to break the law.

Here in USA I read a story about US customs officals detaining people at
airports for no aparnet reason (in the name of searching for drugs). Then
holding them for up to 2 days, and sometimes chaining them down and
forcing them to take prescription laxatives and submit to cavity searches.
(this has resulted in 1 VERY immature delivery froma  pregnant woman)
about 20% of these detainments actually found any contraband.

All this just gives ya that warm fuzzy feeling inside doesn't it. I love
Big Brother. Big Brother is doubleplusgood.

Im just waiting for the USDOJ to be renamed the ministry of love

-Steve
"No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself
and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered
as to which may be the true. "
                -- Nathaniel Hawthorne (The Scarlet Letter)