Re: Do packagers need current systems?

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.981127204117.3746B-100000@cantor.unex.es>, Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:
> On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Thomas Adams wrote:
>> If I want to start packaging software for Debian, do I _need_ to
>> always run the latest system?

> If your package needs a library for which the "standard" one in hamm
> and slink are different, yes (libstdc++ for example, as it has been
> pointed out).

> If your package does not need any such library, no, there is not an
> absolute need to always run the latest system.

> For example, a new ncurses package should use 4.2, not 3.4, but this
> does not mean you have to upgrade the *entire* system either, in
> this case a few library and -dev packages are enough. "Your mileage
> may vary".

Santiago, this is a good middle ground.  I'll add it to teh
Developer's Reference.  With the caveat that developers really
*should* try to stay in sync with frozen, at least during the 2nd half
of frozen (when it starts to settle), so that they can test their
packages in the full environment.  Some strange interactions *can*
occur (bash, mime-support, etc).