Re: XFree86-3.3.3 has been released

On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 04:21:42AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> > This is totally up to Branden to decide, but it seems it's a bug fix
> > release. Check out the xfree86 web page.
>
> You have to be kidding? Adding 4 new drivers for, 1 now server and
> adding support for chipsets look like major code additions, not
> bugfixes to me..

 Sorta.

 There are indeed new drivers. But they are not exactly untested. Reading
 the list of bug fixes (which I put *after* the new features just to make
 sure noone ignored the fact that there *are* new features) makes me very
 uneasy. The -8 diff.gz for xfree86 is circa 100 kB. That's because some
 (most? all?) the security related bug fixes are already in our X packages.
 So the security argument could be (is?) moot.

 From the *changelog*, the code that we already use *seems* to have very
 changed little.

 *My* opinion is that Slink should ship with 3.3.2.3a-?; this is bad for
 people with laptops because this means the <I forgot the name> chipset
 support is going to be found in potato not slink.

					Marcelo