Re: XFree86-3.3.3 has been released

On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 02:41:29PM +0100, joost@pc47.mpn.cp.philips.com wrote:
> The new code seems mostly limited to new servers for new chipsets.  That
> means that it's either relatively new code or no code.  If I had a cutting
> edge videocard, I'd happily go with the new, supposedly experimental, code
> rather than have no server at all.  If possible bugs in the new code are a

Fully agreed.

I have been suffering from needles upgrade problems with every X package
because the Suse server uses /etc/XF86Config and the Debian setup views
that as an error. I've had my FireGL 1000 Pro for more than half a year,
all that time without proper Debian support.

For another very popular Diamond card range it's also good to have the
latest XFree: the Viper 330 and 550. The latter doesn't work without the
latest server, the former has an annoying snow problem with the current

The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed
subsequently, via the LunaDude. [excerpted from the Lunatech Identity Manual]