Re: Status of the LPR package

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 05:11:11PM -0500, Sergey V Kovalyov wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> > (unfortunately I have lprng
> > installed so I can't quote the manpage).  The normal workaround is to have
> > two printers:
> >     - the remote printer definition
> >     - a local printer definition which points to the remote printer
> >       definition and has a filter defined
> >
> > Then you just print to the local printer, which filters the input and sends
> > it to the other definition (which as a remote definition ignores any
> > filtering _it_ has - i.e. none) which sends it to the printer.
> AFAIK this would work only with lprng, not with lpr, and it is still

I use this double queue method with a jet direct card and lpr. It's described
in the printcap man page:

     No filters are run for remote printers.  However, it is possible to run
     one by setting up a double queue and requeueing the job.  As an example,
     consider this printcap:

     in light of this filter-lj5 script:

            gs <options> -q -dSAFER -sOutputFile=- - | lpr -Plj5-remote -U$5

     Text sent to lj5 is processed by the script, which forwards it to lj5-re­

Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com