Re: Status of the LPR package

On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 12:27:24AM -0500, Sergey V Kovalyov wrote:

> The RedHat's version has one important feature that debian's leack. When
> the printer is remote, debian lpr ignores all filters. So if you have an
> HP with JetDirect card, you're stuck. I had to install RedHat's rpm using
> alien.

This is a standard "feature" of lpr AFAIK.  (unfortunately I have lprng
installed so I can't quote the manpage).  The normal workaround is to have
two printers:
    - the remote printer definition
    - a local printer definition which points to the remote printer
      definition and has a filter defined

Then you just print to the local printer, which filters the input and sends
it to the other definition (which as a remote definition ignores any
filtering _it_ has - i.e. none) which sends it to the printer.

Phew

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Avoid tiresome goat sacrifices  -=-  use Debian Linux http://www.debian.org