Re: machine support

Hi,

I have been happily using Debian in Sony Vaio for months.  I have tried
Bo, Hamm and Slink and they work.  Currently, the standard XFree package
supports the video chip nicely, before I had to take X server from SuSE.

One warning: kernel works unstably unless it does not contain APM
(advanced power management) support or if it is bzImage (must be zImage).
The standard kernel does not contain these features, there may be
special notebook kernel that works but I never tried that.  It is
much nicer to have a custom kernel with all useless removed.
After these modifications, I have not had any problems with kernel.
CD-ROM and 3COM Ethernet cards work fine.  So do modem and PPP
serial connections as well.

	Esa

etu@turtiainen.dna.fi