Re: Question on a copyright

Alexander Koch writes:
> As I read this paragraph this only applies to a bundle of a commercial
> product with Diablo. This is clearly not the case, I think, depending
> on whether Debian considers its distribution commercial.

The Debian project itself is not commercial, but that is irrelevant.  The
DFSG is about the rights of all users, including any who choose to
redistribute commercially.

> It's worded rather strangely, but as I read it it gives me all rights
> to distribute and modify the source to make it work for Debian.

But it discriminates against commercial vendors by requiring them (and them
alone: you are free to use the code in gratis Windows programs) to market
Linux and BSD versions of derivatives and telling them what they can charge
for those versions.  This license is not free.

The author also appears to making the erroneous assumption that if a
product is 'commercial' then it must be for a platform other than Linux or
FreeBSD.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)