Re: Abolish antisexism rules! Long live the equivalence of people!

"Buddha M.D. Buck" wrote:
  >There are two slightly different circumstances when an English speaker
  >might want to use a genderless singular personal pronoun:
  >
  >1. When they are referring to a singular member of a group of unknown
  >gender, such as what I'm doing in this sentence -- I know that any
  >particular English speaker can be male or female, so specifying "he" or
  >"she" implies a gender that isn't really there.   This is the case that
  >people mean when they say "'He' is the only pronoun proper to use for a
  >general reference."  However, historically, "they" has long been used
  >in that manner as well.
  >
  >2.  When they are referring to a particular person who's gender is
  >unknown.  In this case, "he" or "she" would not be a general usage, but
  >would rather be a specific usage which may be incorrect.  "I got a
  >visit from the CEO today", "Oh, what did he want", "_She_ wanted to
  >complement my use of non-sexist language in our documentation."  Here,
  >English has a very long tradition of using "they".  "Someone left their
  >coat behind".  "I don't know who it was, but they won't get away".
  >
  >So I would recommend to use "they", if you need to use a genderless
  >singlular personal pronoun.  There is a web page which I will try to
  >find again, listing uses of singluar "they" throughout lots of classic
  >English literature, including Shakespeare and Jane Austin.

I admit that the usage is quite common; however, my early training in Latin
makes me hostile to the gross solecism of a plural pronoun trying to
convey a singular meaning.  Ian Jackson has done this in the constitution;
it grates, like chalk squeaking on a blackboard!

Sir Ernest Gowers' "Complete Plain Words", 2nd ed, says: "The official
writer will be wise for the present to use ["he or she" or "he"] and not
to be tempted by the greater convenience of ["they"], though necessity
may eventually force it into the category of accepted idiom."

The examples given of the use of "they" for the singular are generally
where the pronoun refers to a word like "somebody", meaning one or more
members of a class.  Its use is more acceptable in speech than in
written English.

     "It is better to trust in the LORD than to put
      confidence in man."    Psalms 118:8