machine support

hi-

I am totally new to debian and to this list. If anyone wants to redirect me to the right list for this question, please feel free to let me know.

I just got a sony vaio 505G and I was wondering if I could install the debian dist linux on it (and get rid of Win98 for ever ;-). I heard that a couple of months ago, the neomagic drivers had been released to the open source community and I don't know if the drivers made it to the last version of the kernel. I know about some successful install of FreeBSD on this machine, so I believe there is hope to run linux on this machine.

Thanks for letting me know about this.

Regards,

Laurent