Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 09:01:13PM +0000, James Troup wrote:
> I don't care what you want to call main, but I define main as
> debian/dists/{unstable,frozen,stable}/main/.

My definition of main is in the Policy Manual:

8<--
2.1.2 The main section

Every package in "main" must comply with the DFSG (Debian Free Software Guidelines).

In addition, the packages in "main"

    must not require a package outside of "main" for compilation or
    execution (thus, the package may not declare a "Depends" or
    "Recommends" relationship on a non-main package),
    must not be so buggy that we refuse to support them,
    must meet all policy requirements presented in this manual.
8<--

When discussing about the future organization of things, anything else
(esp. how thing are now organized in FTP servers, except for planning
the transition) is irrelevant.

> None of non-US is on open USA ftp servers

This is a problem with USA legislation, not of the Debian project.
There are countries where cryptography is illegal to use, yet we do
not have a problem distributing crypto programs *outside* those
countries.  Why should we (continue to) make USA an exception?

> and non-US is not usually part of CDs and it's certainly not part of
> the official CD.

It isn't *now*, which it is irrelevant.  Have you read my proposition?

> How can something which is not on the ftp servers or CDs be a part
> of main?  It isn't.

But non-US is on the FTP servers.  It's not on all FTP servers, of
course, because USA has laws forbidding that.

> > No.  Putting crypto software into main does not mean moving the
> > packages to USA-based servers.
>
> Jesus wept, it so does.

Why?  I'm not talking about how things are now, but how things can be
arranged in the future.

> If I upload a package to main; it goes to master (USA) and then to
> ftp.debian.org (USA) and from there to non-US mirrors.

If you upload a non-US main package to the non-US primary server, it
does not propagate to US servers (unless they are broken).

> It *is* as long as people continue to talk about putting crypto
> software in main.

You're missing the point.  I hope you're easier to talk with on a
phone :-)

	Antti-Juhani
	running to watch Babylon 5 in 15 minutes :-)
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho A7 <gaia@iki.fi> ** <URL:http://www.iki.fi/gaia/> **

                       The FAQ is your friend.
                            Trust the FAQ.