Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 08:04:37PM +0000, James Troup wrote:
> Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:
> > It CAN be put into main,
>
> No it *can't*.

Yes it can.

> master, ftp.debian.org and other US mirrors are mirrored all over
> the world.

Main is not the same thing as ftp.debian.org or the USA mirors.  It is
a logical concept that has nothing to do with the physical location of
the packages.

Declare the DFSG-free part of non-US be a part of main, but do not put
it on USA-based distribution points.  It's as simple as that.

> If we put crypto software into main, we will be responsible for
> several mirrors unwittingly violating US export laws.

No.  Putting crypto software into main does not mean moving the
packages to USA-based servers.  They can still be served from outside
the USA.

> However lame we think the laws may be, deliberately inducing other
> people to unknowingly break the law is not something we should
> *ever* contemplate doing.

But this is not being contemplated.

> [There's also the matter of CDs]

Have you read my suggestion from Saturday-Sunday night (EET)?

	Antti-Juhani
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho A7 <gaia@iki.fi> ** <URL:http://www.iki.fi/gaia/> **

                       The FAQ is your friend.